Monday, December 13, 2010

Bubbles, or no bubbles?

Bonsoir mes amis!

Well, today was our last day in Paris!! *tear* But mom and I are super pumped about getting out into the countryside tomorrow! I can't WAIT to see Mont-Saint-Michel and castles in the Loire valley!!! YAY!!

So today, (thanks to Jen, and initially Lizzy) we went to Sacre Coeur, which is a church for those who don't know. We were both a little tired and sore from all our walking yesterday, so we were psyched to find out that there were these little tram things called "funiculars" that took us up this massive hill to the church. Praise the lord because that was a HUGE hill with a million stairs that we weren't exactly pumped about walking up.

So we got up there and this church is brilliantly white. It's SO PRETTY! So the outside was just really cool, and then there were these mosaics inside that were awesome! They were golden and huge and covered most of the altar area. So those were pretty sweet. Then after we went through Sacre Coeur, I spotted this other cute little church that I wanted to go into, which was BEAUTIFUL. It was kinda small and sort of off the beaten path, so there were very few people in there, which made it almost completely silent. Actually the loudest noise was my camera! I wish it had a silencer!! But the stained glass windows inside were really pretty and it was cool to see a more personable church, if that makes sense. Meaning I found it was easier to picture people actually come here for church on a Sunday, rather than the huge, ornate cathedrals like Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. So that was fun. :)

Then we just started walking around and we found this little courtyard area where all these artists were selling their work, and we ended up coming back after lunch and buying a painting! It's pretty small so we can put it in our suitcase, but both mom and I really love it. It's just a cityscape of Paris, but it's all in blue and then Sacre Coeur is up on a hill in white. It's pretty, I'll have to take a picture of it or something when we get home.

So anyway, after that we hopped over to the Arc de Triomphe again so I could get some more pictures of it in the daylight, which was fun. Then we came back to the apartment early so we could start packing up!! Crazy that it's already time to leave, but at the same time I feel like our first trip to the Louvre was FOREVER ago!! But I'm ready for something new and I'm getting a little tired of all the people here!! There's SO MANY!

Funny story du jour:
Actually there will be two. Both are pretty short, one from today and one from yesterday, both during mealtimes. Apparently this is the time when most of our hilarities happen...

So yesterday, we were sitting at lunch across from Saint Chapelle, and our waiter (who probably had the best english of all our waiters) was taking our order and after wards he asked what we wanted to drink and I said water. So he asked me something that I totally didn't understand, it wasn't in french but I just didn't catch it at all. So I stare blankly at him, and then he says "bubbles or no bubbles?" But in his little french accent it sounded EXACTLY the same as that fish in Finding Nemo who was obsessed with the bubbles!!! IT WAS HILARIOUS!! I started cracking up to myself after I told him No bubbles. It was awesome.

In case you need to jog your memory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ART2V2ICxZI&feature=related

The next story was tonight at dinner, we went back to the place with awesome chocolate mousse (which is still fantastic the third time around, don't you worry) and we had a waiter who spoke hardly any english. He was very sweet though and was very nice to us even though we had a hard time ordering, and then we got the wrong thing. But it was fine and we muscled through our lamb sausage...that's right. Lamb sausage. (Blog post on french food to come later. Moral of the story: I've been unimpressed.) ANYway, we finished our fantastic chocolate mousse and we were trying to get his attention to get our bill, and I look over at him and he has TOTALLY zoned out looking at a chair nearby. But his face was PRICELESS. He had a totally dazed look in his eye, but his mouth had sort of made this dumb expression. Like his bottom lip was caught right under his top teeth, not making it pouch out or anything, but his lip was just kind of stuck there. Anyway, I don't know if you can picture it or not, but it was HILARIOUS!! I started cracking up and mom had to try and get his attention on her own because I was a goner. Thankfully, he had no idea I was laughing hysterically at him when he came over with our check, but holy crow it was awesome.

Last night in Paris!! I have no idea what kind of internet access I will have in Mont-Saint-Michel and then Tours, but I will try and get another update in as soon as I can!! Au Revoir! Thanks for reading these everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment